Functional Medicine in Pasadena, the right products for ideal health H2Aborb
The healthy body creates free radicals as a result of normal activity & metabolism. These free radicals, known as ROS (reactive oxygen species) or RNS (reactive nitrogen species) are kept in check by the healthy body, maintaining normal mitochondrial function and minimizing oxidative stress.
Healthy and unhealthy individuals create oxidative stress. Exercise increases a person’s use of oxygen, and increases the work load on the mitochondria. As a result, professional athletes create higher oxidative stress (free radical activity) levels than those who do not exercise to the same extreme. Those facing health challenges may promote a less than optimal level of oxidative stress. The point is that oxidative stress occurs on an ongoing basis and for a variety of reasons.
One of the great advantages of molecular hydrogen is that it can permeate into every part of the cell- into the mitochondria, even into the nucleus of the cell. It can cross the blood brain barrier, unlike many antioxidants. In fact, once taken in through this water-based delivery system, it is speeding all around the body through the bloodstream, flushing cells with healthy regenerative molecules within minutes.
Hydrogen Gas: A Selective Antioxidant*
From Researched Nutritionals:
New research has shown that Molecular Hydrogen (two atoms of hydrogen combined into one molecule – H2) is a powerful antioxidant that selectively targets the most toxic of free radicals*, the hydroxyl group 4. The ability to selectively target free radicals is important as it means that it will not interfere with adjunctive therapies doctors may be pursuing. Unique features of hydrogen gas include its ability to:
- selectively neutralize bad free radicals, including the hydroxyl radical 4*
- diffuse across membranes, including mitochondria, due to its small size 5*
- effectively penetrate biomembranes and infiltrate into organelles, such as mitochondria and the cell’s nucleus 3*
- to penetrate the blood-brain barrier (in contrast to most antioxidants) 3*
- dissolve in water and not change intracellular acidity, taste, color or any characteristics of water 3
- once ingested, hydrogen-infused water passes quickly into the blood and throughout the body 3*
- promote healthy lactic acid levels and post-exercise recovery in athletes *
- support healthy inflammation levels 3*
Since 2007, there have been over 80 significant published research studies 3:
Hydrogen Gas – 21 published studies
Hydrogen via Saline Injections – 27 published studies
Hydrogen Water – 23 published studies
According to Garth Nicolson, PhD, “there are now a critical number of scientific and clinical studies that support the use of hydrogen as a primary or supportive component of clinical care”.
Studies on free radicals, antioxidants, and co-factors, Rahman, K., Clin Interv Aging. 2007 Jun; 2(2): 219-236.
Mitochondrial production of reactive oxygen species contributes to the beta-adrenergic stimulation of mouse cardiomycytes, Andersson D, et al., The Journal of Physiology, 2011 Apr 1; 589(Pt 7): 1791-1801.
Clinical Effects of Hydrogen Administration: From Animal and Human Diseases to Exercise Medicine, Nicolson G. et al., International Journal of Clinical Medicine, 2016, 7, 32-76.
Hydrogen acts as a therapeutic antioxidant by selectively reducing cytotoxic oxygen radicals, Ikuroh Ohsawa, et al. Nature Medicine Vol 13, No. 6, June 2007.
Molecular hydrogen as a preventive and therapeutic medical gas: initiation, development and potential of hydrogen medicine, Ohta S., Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Volume 144, Issue 1, October 2014, Pages 1-11
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Posted in: Nutrition & Foods